Have you ever been invited somewhere on short notice, grab a tub of hummus and a bag of carrots so as not to arrive empty-handed, and realize someone else made the same last-minute hummus-and-carrots stop at the grocery store? It’s time to (slightly) up your game with Veggie Roll Ups.
I present to you something so easy, I can barely call it a recipe. Made solely with four ingredients usually lurking in my fridge, these Veggie Roll-Ups are the answer to any last minute invite with the vague “bring something to share” request. These are kid-friendly, keep in the refrigerator if you make in advance, and since they don’t have any dairy, it’s not the end of the world if they sit out at the picnic for a while.
- 3 Extra Large Tortillas (big burrito size!)
- Tofutti Cream Cheese (Other vegan cream cheeses are fine – this our favorite)
- 2 carrots, shredded (a bag of matchstick carrots work too)
- 2 cups of baby spinach or spring mix greens
- Lay first tortilla on cutting board or flat surface. Spread Tofutti Cream Cheese in thin layer all over; be sure to get close to the edges.
- Sprinkle carrots on top of cream cheese on 3/4 of the tortilla. Leave about 1/4 at the top free of veggies – this will be the glue to seal our roll up shut.
- Layer on greens, so they evenly cover carrots, again leaving top 1/4 free of veggies.
- From the bottom with all the veggies, begin to roll tortilla in a tight spiral. The tighter the roll, the better things stay together once they are cut.
- Starting in middle, cut the roll into 10-12 pieces (less, if using smaller tortillas). The ends won’t have enough to stay together, so this is your mid-roll-up-assembly snack.
- Repeat with 2-3 more tortillas if you need to have enough to share.
- Serve with spirals facing up – let everyone see your fancy tortilla rolling skills!