If potatoes can make soups rich and creamy, why not use them for a cream sauce over pasta? To get some no-sugar-added sweetness, I wanted to use sweet potatoes. On their own, sweet potatoes are great. They really don’t need margarine/oil or seasoning, but for this sauce, I thought I should challenge myself to something more complex than just pureed sweet potato.
In the past, I’ve drizzled a sage butter on ravioli, and rosemary on sweet potato fries worked well…so I tried those today!
- 1 and 1/2 cups of sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons of Earth Balance Soy Free margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- Boil water in a large pot. This water can be used for the pasta after you start making the sauce.
- Once boiling, add sweet potato, and cook until soft.
- Strain from water (by using basket or with slotted spoon) then return the water to a boil for the pasta.
- Transfer the sweet potato to the blender.
- Add margarine and seasoning to small sauce pan, and heat until melted and fragrant.
- Transfer to blender with potatoes.
- Add milk and blend until smooth.