The first recipe with our Fabulous Feta is the Spring Quinoa Salad. Along with quinoa and feta, this salad also has fresh asparagus – also known as the “King of Spring” according to our local grocery store advertisements.
We first saw a similar salad during a cooking demo in Washington DC’s Eastern Market.
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup of “good” olive oil – If you have nicer stuff for dipping bread, use that over cooking oil. The best version of this salad was with olive oil brought back from a small farm in Umbria, Italy – you can really taste the better oils!
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup of soy-based feta cheese, crumbled
- 6-8 chives
- 4-5 stems parsley
- 3-4 sprigs thyme
- Trim the stumps off the asparagus. Like flowers, these ends can get dry, so remove the last half inch.
- Place asparagus in a steamer basket with cold water in a pan over high heat. Cook until asparagus is bright green, and lightly steamed. Remove and slice into one-inch pieces.
- Place garlic in a medium bowl and whisk together with vinegar and mustard. Drizzle oil, while whisking to form a creamy emulsion; set aside.
- Mix together cooked quinoa, asparagus and cheese
- Prepare herbs – remove thyme from stem, cut parsley and chives into chunks. Add to salad and mix.
- Begin to add dressing. Taste salad with vinaigrette, and season to taste.