When I was younger, I went to a German restaurant with three friends. They all ordered super meaty things, and there wasn’t even a vegetarian side dish for me (I wasn’t vegan yet). The one thing on the menu I could have was “heisse liebe.” This literally means “hot love” in German, and it was simply a bowl of vanilla ice cream topped with hot fresh raspberry sauce. Since then, I’ve made this sauce on a few occasions, and it works for dessert AND breakfast.
In my quest for health, I try to avoid packaged foods. We stay stocked with ingredients rather than ready-to-go foods. A few exceptions are “emergency” foods for when I don’t have time (or energy) to cook. A few weeks ago, I bought a box of gluten free, vegan frozen waffles, and when it came time to eat them, I realized we don’t have maple syrup. Instead of eating them dry, I remembered some “hot love” could fix these waffles. I dug around in the freezer for some frozen raspberries, and whipped up a quick and easy no-sugar-added berry compote.
- 1 cup of frozen raspberries
- 1/4 cup of fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup of water
- (real hot love has sugar – feel free to add sweetener of your choice)
- Place ingredients in small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir as needed; keep lid tilted so air can escape (unless you enjoy cleaning up syrupy sticky eruptions).
- Add more water, if needed, to achieve desired consistency.
- Taste your creation; add sweetener if desired.